Welcome!


Welcome to your Honors American Studies blog. We will use this tool throughout the course to discuss current events and reflect upon class discussion.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Current Event- Why Barbour's Civil Rights Remarks May Not Kill a White House Run

My current event was about Haley Barbour and how he was making racist remarks. Haley is the Mississippi Governor and will be running for president in 2012. Haley never had himself recorded or on a video, and if he did when running for president people will watch that and will lose some voters. In the article, it was talking about elements to "help kill political careers." This means that Haley put himself in a situation, but there is not proof that he said any racial remarks. The four elements consist of how there was no video of Haley, a quote online or on paper doesn't mean as much as to hearing it in person or on a video/audio. The second element consists of how untimely this situation is happening. Haley is running for president and is current governor in Mississippi, he will lose some voters and when people go to vote, they will think about those remarks. The third element is journalists or political hacks will find history about Haley and see if they can find anymore incidents similar or worse. The final element consists of how Haley will lose African American voters or any voters who are against racism.

In this interview by Justin Miller, it says, "The Citizens Council wasn't as bad as the Ku Klux Klan, Barbour said, apparently not adding that it was anti-black."

The Citizens Council is a newspaper that ran through October 1955 to September 1961. The main purpose of the Citizens Council is to inform white families to not let their children interact in classrooms with African American children.

The Ku Klux Klan was founded in 1866. It extended to most of the southern states by 1870. The Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s saw a surge of KKK activity, this includes bombing black schools, churches, violence between black and white.

Probing Question: If you were 18 and could legally vote, would you vote for Haley Barbour for president?

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2010/12/why-barbours-civil-rights-remarks-may-not-kill-a-white-house-run/68367

11 comments:

  1. I will be 18 this year and when Haley Barbour runs for president of the United States, I will not vote for him. Hearing this makes me feel like he is not qualified to run for president. I'm sure everyone says something racial accidentally at some point in their lives, but a man of his status should not, especially publicly in this manner. People always remember when others mess up, and these mess ups make the good deeds performed be overlooked. I think Barbour will be reminded of this during the election process and will not win president. He will not get my vote for the next presidency that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were 18 this voting election as far as I know I would not vote for Haley Barbour. Although it is said that his comment was a “simple mistake” it is still unacceptable. This “mistake” shows what he truly believes but never exposes. I do not think people like this should have power over our country and hopefully others agree with me. Although Barbour may have other good traits, I believe having a non-judgmental opinion of races is a necessity in running our country and this cannot be overlooked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I turn 18 this year, I would vote for him. Although, I don't know what his political view points are and such, this situation that is happening to him doesn't matter to me. It seems as if he has been set up, seeing as though there is no solid evidence. Anyone (or paper for that matter) could have put online that he said something, and people would believe it. I would need to see hard evidence such as a video or voice recording, not just letters put on the internet. Like I said before, I would also need to see his political viewpoints and what he would do as president, before I would really decide to vote for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was legally able to vote, I would not cast a vote for Haley Barbour. I think that the speculated comments must have some truth to them, especially since I see no evidence of Barbour denying these comments. I think being our president is a large responsibility and such commented show arrogance and unintelligence, two qualities that should not be found in a president.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would never vote for a man who is racist because that would just kill what minorities have worked for, for decades. This man would set back what they have worked for because of his beleifs. I know that it would not affect amendments and laws but someone can't be in that seat. There should be a rule in which any government offical should not be allowed to be racist or prejudice so that they cannot make a law that will just help there race and hurt another.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel as though his statement was not so extremely racist that it should discourage extreme amounts of votes. The KKK was in fact wore than the council and used violance to prove their point. Even though the council was still unacceptable his point was valid that they did not go to such extremes. Even with his comments, if I were 18, I would not look soley on what he said, but look at his goals and other facts while voting. I would not let one comment that is not even on video or eve considered reliable persuade my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be completely honest, I probably would still vote for him. Because there was no proof of him saying the racial slurs, it could for as far as I know be completely made up. Like what Garrett said, I think that anyone who is opposing of Haley, could make up that he said those things. Although I do feel bad for the people if what he said was true, but for as much we know, it isn't. I tihnk that people shouldn't believe everything they hear. There will always be competition, so stories can be easily made up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I were 18 and able to vote I actually don't know if I would vote for Haley Barbour reason being because I think there is always two sides to every story. I believe that I would need more information in order for me to say whether I would vote for him or not.
    I do feel that these comments might be true but there is no evidence which makes me think otherwise of him. As Andrea said stories can always be made up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I were 18 this accident that he made would not affect my thoughts about him. People say racist things whether it's on purpose or not, and every one,even the president makes mistakes. You cannot expect someone, even the president, to be perfect. This comment would not effect my vote towards him, but I do think that he may lose some votes from it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that people over react to things that could be racist. If people didn't freak out about every little comment that may not even be serious the whole view we have of racial lines would change. Because of this i would still vote for him if he ran for president if i shared his views. This is because what he said could have been a joke and in this time no in will act on personal race views because there would be no way to even get into and stay in office.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If i were 18 when he ran for president, i would honestly have to view his positions and who hes running against. For me it does in fact set him back seeing that he is being sterotyped as a racist political leader. If he were to become president and he were in fact a racist the influnce that he could have on America could be huge. To other countries it could seem that we are pregisit and haven't learned from our mistakes in the past with racism.

    ReplyDelete